Overview by Dr. M. A. Cohen D.Ac. D.C.
All rights reserved 2020.
Scientific research over 60 years has proven the benefits of heat for tissue recovery.
The main findings are:
- Increased blood and lymph circulation improving removal of cellular waste metabolites,
- Physical expansion of tissue cellular structures,
- Parasympathetic nervous system activation creating a measurable central nervous system relaxation response,
- Enhanced user experience as users prefer sensation of heat on tender areas vs. cold or room temperature and will therefore sustain pressure on a heated object for far longer than a cold or room temperature item.
Taken together these changes lead to a significantly improved end user experience that features:
- improved user compliance,
- improved injury healing times,
- enhanced athletic performance,
- improved tissue elasticity,
- decreased pain sensitivity,
- decreased risk of tissue re-injury.
The technology has been patented and is now commercially available to utilize HEATABLE self-care tools. Given the proven positive benefits, HEATABLE self-care tools are recommended for common musculoskeletal complaints.
They are contra-indicated in cases of fracture, infection and neo-plasm.
View all Hot/Cold Therapy products here.
It is important to know when to use heat therapy, and when to use cold therapy. Read about the differences between the two here.